What I’ve Learned This Semester

This semester has taught me a variety of things from how to draw an organic molecule from IR spectroscopy to how a black hole is formed. One of the main reasons why I chose William & Mary, (beyond the fact that the campus is both beautiful all seasons and academics are top notch), is how the university fosters a holistic education. We learn things both inside and out of the classroom and William & Mary provides a fantastic environment to foster this growth.

Being someone who learns by experience, I have always committed myself to expanding my knowledge in my variety of passions. This semester I took on four challenging science courses, a full time job as a professional dancer at Busch Gardens, a part time job writing these blog posts, managing my own social media account, and a polarization research study with a professor. It hasn’t been the easiest to manage everything all at once, but even the toughest days have taught me something.

Not everything you learn in college will be monumental. Sometimes it’s the smaller things that make the biggest difference. While this semester I’ve learned about the life and death of a star in my Stellar Astronomy & Cosmology course with Professor Armstrong, how to handle zebra finches for research with Professor Swaddle, and more knowledge about yeast genetics then I’d ever thought I’d know in my Genetic Analysis class with Professor Kersher, I think the most important lesson I’ve learned this semester is the importance of resting.

In the previous semester, I pushed the limits of my own productivity and at times forgot to set aside time for myself. In a world that revolves around constant productivity, it can be easy to forget to look after ourselves first. Taking advantage of downtime for the purpose of resting and recharging has allowed me to pursue all of these opportunities. I’m so grateful to be surrounded by so many amazing opportunities, but I knew going into this semester I’d burnout quickly if I didn’t take time to rest. In these past three months I’ve prioritized wellness in order to best prepare myself for the stress that comes with a packed schedule which has allowed me to continue to grow and learn more during my time in college.

All of this is facilitated by having a stellar support system. Leaning on resources that William & Mary has to offer whether it be professor office hours, the wellness center, or just the sadler ice cream machine, it’s easy to find ways to get some extra support here at William & Mary.

We are constantly learning, growing, and evolving. Take the time to appreciate what opportunities are around you and don’t forget to rest!