My Experience with Undergrad Avian Research 

This past year I had the wonderful opportunity to assist grad student Ali Grossweiner in her polarization study. In this experiment, focal birds (Zebra Finches) are conditioned to associate water with reward in order to test preference for polarization. There were three steps to the experiment: acclimation, training, and testing. I had the opportunity to assist with all three steps and eventually conducted training and testing independently. On these training days I would set up the equipment, conduct two trials for each bird, handle the birds into and out of the box, conduct cleanup and birdcare after the training was completed. Then I would insert the results of training into our polarization study spreadsheet. 

Assisting in this study, I learned more about the steps of developing and conducting research, polarization, bird behavior, and how to handle birds. Getting to help out in all stages of the research process made me appreciate how much goes into developing a research question and the planning required for each step after. In terms of avian experience, I also learned more about how to anticipate what actions a bird might take from observing their behavior, which was helpful during training as well as handling them in and out of the box. It was especially intriguing to witness the success of conditioning throughout the weeks they were trained. Watching them go from randomly flying around to looking at the water bowls and being more calculated with which perch they chose in such a short amount of time. 

Spending this spring formally conducting research with birds has also sparked my interest in learning more about the birds local to this area. I’ll often use the Merlin Bird ID sound ID to try to match different vocalizations to birds when walking around outside. It was truly a pleasure getting to be involved in a hands-on research opportunity and I hope to continue expanding my avian knowledge and experience in the future! The extent of research opportunities at William & Mary is truly expansive. Whether you’re a STEM or a humanities major, if you’re interested in gaining real world experience, you’re bound to find an opportunity!