A Reflection On Being A Sophomore 

This semester has gone so fast, and being close to halfway through my sophomore year makes me appreciate the past year while also being overwhelmed by the impending future. To think that in under 6 months the class of 2026 will have completed half of college is inconceivable. Being a spring transfer student, last spring was my first semester here, so I still feel relatively new to William & Mary. This semester I’ve prioritized new experiences and opportunities by taking advantage of the plentiful resources William & Mary has to offer. I’ve had the opportunity to explore my interests while also stepping out of my comfort zone through joining clubs, a research lab, and new jobs. 

I sometimes compare myself to where I was a year ago, but with a year of new experiences, opportunities, jobs, and classes it’s important to recognize the growth and development in my interests and career readiness. Consciously pursuing things that will make me step out of my comfort zone has helped me discover the joy in first experiences. 

This semester I’ve had the privilege of joining a research lab group which has not only helped me expand my knowledge of animal behavior and biological conservation, but also the importance of networking and professional development. Our most recent lab meeting focused around a discussion of grad school. From hearing the stories of grad students, I found this discussion to have sparked curiosity and questioning of my own future. It also sparked the question, What does it mean to be a sophomore? Not exactly a new student, but close enough to be considering life beyond graduation. Questions of grad school, gap years, and future careers. How to prepare for life beyond graduation while balancing all realms of being a current college student. In my eyes, being a sophomore is recognizing that now is the time to not just think about the future, but to set yourself up for future success. 

My best advice for sophomores from being one myself is to make the most out of your time here at William & Mary. Continue pursuing the things you enjoy while also stepping out of your comfort zone to consider new perspectives. Now is the time to try something new, explore your interests, make connections, and learn more about yourself, others, and the world around you.