The many things I’ve learned from William & Mary, shorted into my top ten

By: Ellie McMahon

1. Go all in. As a junior, my first (almost) three years have flown by and I’m not really sure how. What I do know is that this time is too short not to take advantage of all the amazing things W&M has to offer!
  2. Prioritize your wellness. In addition to cool FitWell classes, the Rec also has a sauna that works wonders for stress.
  3. Dining hall condiments will be your best friend. Trust me on this, especially if you want food with flavor
  4. The Sunken Garden is best enjoyed with a picnic blanket, hat, and a group of friends. Maybe even a football and sunscreen if you’re feeling fancy.
  5. Never eat a meal alone. This I learned from a W&M alum during an interview; he said that if he could redo anything about his time here, it would be to always eat with new friends.
  6. Don’t be afraid. Of the hard classes, the scary professor, the making new friends. We’ve all been there and made it out the other side.
  7. Comparison really is the thief of joy; it’s important to run your own race.
  8. Don’t forget to call your parents/siblings/loved ones. They’re the ones who helped to get you here!
  9. Embrace your inner TWAMP* because life is more fun that way!
  10. Learn to bleed green and gold, whatever that means for you. William & Mary was never going to be just a four year thing; we’re all in the Tribe for life.

* Typical William & Mary Student