There is Always Time to Close the Textbook – Emma Dunlop

I think I’m speaking for everyone when I say that the week before Thanksgiving is one the hardest of the entire semester. The air is getting colder, the sun is setting sooner, and final exams begin peeking their heads around the corner. The final trek to break can feel endless, as most students try to cram in exam prep, essays, and final assignments.

But is this week of stress worth the almost-week-long break? For many students, Thanksgiving break translates to Thanksgiving “break from my dorm.” It’s common for students to use their time at home to continue studying for final exams and beginning their final projects. However, there is always time to close the textbook, and what better time than Thanksgiving break? Here are some ways to shake off those academic burdens during your time off.

1. Plan out your study schedule for the weeks following the break.

For me, I start to de-stress once I have a plan. If I know how I’m going to accomplish my end-of-semester goals, I’m more comfortable taking time for myself and fueling my body. And, it helps reassure me that I have enough time to get everything done!

2. Make a study playlist in preparation for finals season.

Music is a great way to spice up your studying. With a peppy playlist in hand, the motivation to study after the break is sure to pick up. Say goodbye to study dread during break!

3. Engage in some activities that take your mind off of your classes.

Wind down with a spa day, eat out with some friends, or start crafting for the holiday season. These are great ways to take your mind off school, while still fueling it for the weeks ahead.

It can be hard to completely step back from academics during such a busy time in the semester, but preparation and planning are on your side. Use these tools to ease your mind and make memories during your days away from due dates.

Emma Dunlop is a sophomore intending to major in Marketing here at William & Mary. A transfer student herself, Emma spent her first semester of college in London and arrived on campus in the Spring of 2023. In addition to starting as a STEP blog guest writer this semester, Emma is also a member of the William & Mary Accidentals, the Student Environmental Action Coalition, and Women in Business. She is so excited to get writing!